Cerritos Elementary Computer Science Immersion Magnet is proud to partner with Code to the Future!
- All students TK - 6th grade code at Cerritos! The coding program is taught during the day as part of the curriculum.
- Coding projects are integrated into the science, social studies, and English language arts curriculum.
There are 3 cycles of coding in one year (1 per trimester).
- Cycle 1: All students begin with Scratch or Scratch Jr. which is a block-based coding program. Students begin by adding sprites, backgrounds, sound, and motion and advance to coding a full presentation in core academic subject areas like science and social studies as well as creating games.
- Cycle 2: During the second cycle, students in TK -1st grade work with Lego bricks to design a 3-D project, which is then coded using Scratch. Students in grades 2-3 work with the LEGO Spike Essential robots. They assemble the robots and create a story line that ties into the coding and movement of the robots. Students in grades 4-6 assemble and code the LEGO Spike Prime robots to create different motions, such as behaving as a specific animal to completing a full mission.
- Cycle 3: In the third cycle, students in grades 3-6 move from block-based coding to text coding using Python. Projects are integrated into the curriculum where students develop a world based on what is being learned in the core curriculum.